Team New Brunswick will be going to Winnipeg in 2017!
Skills Canada NB is currently exploring different areas that will be serving as host locations for over 35 provincial competitions in the Skilled Trades and Technologies in 2017. Team NB will be selected through these qualifying events and will be travelling to Winnipeg, Manitoba late May 2017 to do its best to bring back Gold to the province.
Skills Canada National Competition event highlights:
- Over 40 skilled trade and technology contest areas
- Over 500 competitors
- Over 40 Try-A-Trade and technology activities
- Thousands of student visitors and spectators
- Professionally produced opening ceremony and closing ceremony with attendance of approximately 2000 each
- Essential Skills Stage-interactive demonstrations by various stakeholder groups and celebrities designed to highlight the importance of Essential Skills.
- Dedicated "Career Zone" featuring career exhibitors and sponsored Try-A-Trade and Technology activities.
- Educator workshops focused on Essential Skills
- VIP events including opening and closing ceremony receptions; VIP tours; hospitality suite
A lack of information regarding the opportunities in trades and technology currently prohibits many young Canadians from considering a career in skilled trades. Through provincial, national and international skills competitions, Skills Canada helps make these occupations more visible to teachers, students, parents and the general public. The competitions are an incredible display of hands-on expertise, talent and determination which showcases the many promising futures to be found in trades and technology.
Conference Board of Canada, Canadian Outlook Long-Term Forecast, 2000
With the eminent skills shortage caused by lower birth rates and an aging population, tradespeople will be in high demand. By 2020, it is estimated that Canada will be short 1 million workers.
Read more +
What are the tasks performed at the provincial level competitions? For high school level students? For post-secondary level students and apprentices?
Read more +
Team NB at the annual Skills Canada National Competition.
Read more +
Help us encourage youth consider making a career in the skilled trades.